Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My BCG's are M.A.T.U.R.I.N.G !!!


It’s been a while since we’ve last posted a blog entry on our page.  Life has been crazy busy with my BCG’s so time has been limited.  These days, my BCG’s have their schedules full with Soccer, church activities, school and their “Social” calenders!! Joifulzcurlz (my soon to be 8yr old) has become such a social butterfly that her schedule has become challenging to keep up with.  She just went to her first sleep over after weeks of hubby & I debating whether or not to let her go.  She had an absolutely wonderful time and is now asking to have one of her own. 

She is really into fashionable clothing, shoes, jewelry and requesting hairstyles that she can style on her own.  Here lately, 2 strand twists/rope twists and braids have been at the top of her list!!  She likes wearing them because she can choose how she’d like to wear them on any given day. 
Her styles include: Pony Tails (one on each side, a single pony, a high/low pony or side pony), Half up/Half down styles, a twisted bun with a few twists hanging to the side or a few hanging in the front. 




These twists & braids have kept the hair arguments at bay and they give me extra time to focus on AngelzCurlz (4yr old) and her style requests.  Yes, she seems to be following in the steps of her big sis.  The good thing is that she mostly wants to wear twists or braids just like her big sister.  JoifulzCurlz is always excited about styling her baby sister’s hair so that’s a win for me once again :-).


I am finding that the older they get, the more opinionated they’ve become.  They like the fact that I actually listen to them (most days) when they want to make a styling suggestion.  I’m happy, if they’re happy.  I am coming to terms with the fact that Joifulzcurlz is maturing.  The days of wearing bows & barrettes, flower accessories and beads are far gone.  She likes to keep it simple, yet stylish… she even says “no” to wash n go’s and she gives me an “I don’t know” when I ask if she’d like to wear a twist out, lol. 

Who knows what this next year will bring for her?  I know that she will soon experience some physical changes and began to have questions about them as she feels ready to do so.  I think that it is important that I take the time to embrace those changes (emotionally, physically, intellectually & spiritually) and build on our mother/daughter relationship. I have started to take more interests in those things that are important to her (hair, fashion, friendships, sports) just to lay the foundation for those things that are yet to come. 

Are any of you going through this phase with your BCG’s?  If so, what has worked for you?  Have you found it hard to adjust to your BCG’s as they mature and go through their stages?  I guess I’d better get used to it and enjoy the ride… for now.  These days they just seem to grow up much too soon...
~TheBlessedMomOf3 (mom to AngelzCurlz & JoifulzCurlz)

3 comments:

  1. First of all, GREAT POST! We love following you! :o)
    If you head on over to my page, you'll see that I have a tween. A "Drama Tween" that is! And you are definitely right about "the older they get, the more opinionated they’ve become." My hubby tells me all the time that Yaya is VERY opionated like her momma! Lol... She is most definately into all the fashionable clothing, shoes, jewelry and requesting hairstyles that she can style on her own too. The emotional & physical changes...WE ARE THERE! :o/ I feel like my baby is growing up so fast now that these changes are happening. Sometimes I want to press pause, but I can't! I try to woosaa and embrace her and her changes as much as I can. Just try to remember, if you are nervous about it she is too! I have been trying to take more time out to talk and teach her ways to cope with these changes; remind her that mommy is right here! I notice although she may not say she is waiting, watching and wanting to learn so it is my duty to embrace and show her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and share your experiences with me. I can only imagine how "interesting" life can be while raising a tween. I know that I will be exeriencing this in the years to come. I just wish I could slow down the clock a little and enjoy my babies a little longer :). While I know that is not possible, I still want to keep them young and innocent for as long as possible. Everytime my girls start requesting a hairstlye or an outfit hubby looks at me and says "do you see what you've created?" LOL!!! But what he doesn't understand is the fact that girls will be girls. They will all, at some time, go through these these life changing experiences as they grow older. I am trying to embrace it all and be there for them to answer all of their questions, wipe their tears, reassure them that "this to shall pass" and to steer them in the right direction. I definitely agree that they are watching at all times. Little by little they grow more comfortable with asking questions about whatever's on their minds. I just pray that I have the right answers for them when the time is right. Ahhhh, the joy's of motherhood :). Once again, thanks for stopping by. I will certainly refer to this post for ideas and insight when the time comes. I'm going to head on over to your page and check you out as well. We appreciate your support!

      ~Hope (TheBlessedMomOf3)

      Delete
  2. I just stubled upon this blog from youtube after watching the streching technique for your daughters 4b hair. It was similar to what I was already doing but I did pick up a few pointers. My daughter's hair is also 4b. She is 7 and does not have the length that your daughter has, but does have the same (or it appears the same) density. I do have a couple of questions however. Where do you get the shea butter and the shampoo that you use? With all of the braids and twists that you do, how do you maintain their edges. My daughters edges are so fragile. I'm trying to grow them out, but the process has been slow. My daughter is also the only girl out of our 4 so she is a little, ahem, rough for lack of a better term. She wants her hair to be cute, but the moment she steps out of the mirror it's like she forgets that her hair is in a style. How do you keep their hair together and from looking crazy by the end of the day?I am going to try the other gels that you suggested. The Fantasia IC doesnt really work for her hair. Also, where do you get your shea butter from? Sorry if I am rambling. It's nice to talk to someone who's daughter has a smiliar hair texture that is still natural.

    ReplyDelete